Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Flexcut Pocket Jack

I received the Flexcut Pocket Jack yesterday.

http://www.flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1398&category_id=174

I tried it out for a little bit last night. Sharp as can be right out of the package. It carved nice and clean on basswood

The tools do hang up on each other when folding a tool out from the handle, but it wasn't a big deal to close the one I didn't want. They're not tight--just snug. They lock sufficiently in place. And the locks work easily.

I like the selection of tools. Having never used a scorp before, I'm getting used to using them. At the very least, I know I will be using the gouge and knife.

Although the knife blade is sharp, I'm debating whether to sharpen it from edge to back of the blade. Currently, there is a bevel ending about a third of the way from the edge. I prefer to lay the blade flat on the stone, and lifting it a slight bit (a dime's thickness) when sharpening my knife blade. The length of the blade--1 5/8"--is a little longer than the 1 1/2" blade I'm used to using. It shouldn't be a problem. The blade profile is sufficient for general carving and a reasonable amount of normal detail.

The handle is a little bit uncomfortable. I think the handle edges need to be rounded over a bit more. My solution is to do what I've recently started doing regardless of what tools I am using. I wear a Kevlar glove with the grip dots on both hands. It helps to grip the tool, lessens fatigue on my hand, and prevents inadvertent injuries to my index finger. I tend to ride up on the tool's working end for better control when doing fine detail.

All in all--I like the Pocket Jack. And based on my usage so far, I'd recommend trying it out.

BTW--I have a solution for a sheath. I use the nylon sheath that came with the Kobalt 2 blade folding utility knife. It's roomy enough to hold the Pocket Jack and a piece of leather belt that I have charged with honing compound for periodic maintenance on the tools' edges.

Here's a link to the Kobalt sheath and knife I'm talking about:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=253835-16878-50417&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1239055&catalogId=10051& cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

No comments:

Post a Comment